Friday, June 22, 2012

Workin' On Mah Fitness

I've been going to the gym consistently since May 28th! Wooooooo! This is a huge accomplishment for me because a) I don't like working out and b) I tend to give up on things and resort to complaining easily. But not this time! It's been almost a month, and my motivation hasn't yet waned. So what's different this time?

I've stopped thinking of exercise as punishment. I used to be in the mindset that if I slipped up on my diet, I had to go to the gym the next day and work off what I wasn't supposed to eat. Now I realize that while I can't go hog-wild and nom everything in sight, I can have a little ice cream, or chocolate (or pie, or cookies, or cake... this is how I get carried away) and I probably won't gain a gazillion pounds. Exercise is something I should do for fun and to stay healthy, not because I had too many calories and I have to make up for it.

I don't weigh myself as often. Occasionally, I can get addicted to the scale. Two years ago I weighed myself every day for almost the entire year. I know, that's horrible! Bad Vanna! I slapped myself on the back of the hand just now if it makes you feel any better. In my defense, I had other issues going on at the time and was very stressed out. The problem with weighing myself too often, other than that it's cray cray, is that when I gain muscle, the number on the scale doesn't go down, and when I don't see it going down, I quit. I know you've heard that muscle weighs more than fat, so that probably means I won't see much difference on the scale initially. This time, I weigh myself once a week, if that. I have been looking in the mirror, trying to see if I notice any changes (before and after pictures are probably more useful for this purpose, but since I can't find my DRATTED camera cord, I haven't bothered taking pictures lately). Maybe I'm noticing a change, or maybe it's all in my head. But I won't be letting the scale dictate my exercise regimen anymore.

I make time to exercise and don't make excuses. Well, I still make excuses sometimes, but I am making fitness more of a priority now. Instead of going home after work to sit around and play video games, or do something else non-productive, I go straight to the gym. I pack my gym attire and take it to work with me to be sure that I can't use not having anything to wear as an excuse. The payment for my membership gets taken out of my paycheck and knowing that I'm paying for something is another subconscious motivator for me to go. I'm a gal who likes to get her money's worth.

It really takes a change of perception to be successful at sticking with anything, especially for me, and especially with exercise. To be honest, I have had some positive changes in other parts of my life, and that has allowed me to see more clearly and get out of the "funk" that I'd been in for a while. Now I see that I really can do whatever I put my mind to (within reason of course). Now if only I could put my mind to winning the Mega Millions, I'd be set.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you! Definitely make use out of that gym membership- my husband has one and it makes me crazy knowing that every month we pay money for that and he hasn't been going. He has a good reason recently, but still... good luck with working out! What about music? That used to help me a lot when I was half-marathon training. I'd think of my gym time and runs as the times when I got to listen to my tunes...
    --TS

    ReplyDelete