Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The resolution trap

It's 2012 already?? I'm not ready for a new year. I haven't even made any resolutions yet. I couldn't even tell you what my resolutions were last year, but they probably sounded something like "loose weight, save money, drink more water, blah blah." By February, I stopped trying. Every year I come up with a different version of the same vague resolutions, and every year I fail at them. Finally, this year, I think I've been able to understand why.

I have a problem with being honest with myself. Even though honesty is a quality I admire in and expect from other people, I have the hardest time being honest with myself (I'm a huge hypocrite).  Practically every day, in some way or another, I lie to myself. When I tell myself "I'll work out tomorrow" or "I'll clean on Sunday" or "I'll get this done tomorrow" and I know I have no damn intention of doing those things, I'm consciously lying to myself. Sometimes I don't mean to do it, but the problem has got to stop, because it's keeping me from accomplishing important achievements and living up to my full potential.

So this year, my main "resolution" or focus will be to be honest with myself (which ties into the whole "finding myself, understanding my personality, being true to who I am and whatnot" issue I've been running into lately). When I address the underlying issues I have with me, it should be easier for me to reach my goals. We'll see how it works out because to be honest, I'm skeptical as to whether or not I can even stick to something as basic as this. Womp womp.

2 comments:

  1. I think you can do it, I was perfectly honest with myself this year . . . hence no resolutions have been made haha. I get about half of my resolutions done and then I sit there and think, that's good enough for me. It's hard because the "untruths" (lies sounds way too harsh) come directly from us, so we end up thinking, "why would I lie to myself?" When in fact, there's always a perfectly logical reason why.

    Hmm, I feel like I may end up writing a blog post in this comment box lol. You have my support though! I know you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Annie! At least you get half the resolutions done. I don't get any lol.

    ReplyDelete