Monday, October 31, 2011

Variety post!

I've had this realization before, but it always takes more than once for me. I need to volunteer more. The benefit of this will be twofold. First, it will bulk up my resume and give me even more references (hopefully). I'm looking to be a part of a long term volunteer effort that goes on year round, or at least annually for more than just a day. Something that I can help plan and then execute would be ideal, so that I'll have references that can attest to my ability to do those things. Secondly, it will give me something to do. As I complained in my last post, life is dull right now. I'm in the "post-college slump" and excitement just doesn't come as easily these days. I actually have to make an effort to make my life interesting, and I dislike effort. However, this is what it's come to. So with an ongoing volunteer assignment, I can have something that keeps my busy instead of laying around on my (chubby) butt all day complaining about my boring life and eating bonbons (I never eat bonbons, but I'm thinking I should get some now to make this post more authentic).

So, I'm beginning my quest to find volunteer opportunities. The internet is irritating because organizations don't always update their websites. I've found a few organizations online that I'm going to apply to, but I need to find more referral sources. I know that I should network with my friends and acquaintances to see if I can dig anything up. Does anyone know of any other ways I can get connected?

In other news, I now have a part time, seasonal job with Macy's! I'm very excited about that. My mother reminded me that she too worked at Macy's, almost 30 years ago. I'm excited about the position because I can pick up hours that are available. From what I understand, I don't have a set schedule, which is good because I can have some flexibility and be free to do other things. It's all part of my "keep busy, get money" plan.

Random sidenote: Why is it that oftentimes when people (especially white people) dress as hippies/disco kings and queens from the 70's, they wear afro wigs? Were there no white people in the 70's? Did no one have straight hair? Why don't I see more fluffy blonde, Farrah Fawcett style wigs? (These are rhetorical questions of course, because other than jewfros, white people wore their hair straight in the 70's from what I can tell.) Anyway, that just gets on my nerves sometimes. When I think of white people in the 70's, I think of the Bee Gees, not fake afro hair.

Source
Very fluffy, but still no fros. Source

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on the job at Macy's! Quality volunteer work is hard to find, most of it is just standing around and looking for things to do.

    Every time I see the BeeGees, I think about Jimmy Fallon as Barry Gibb and Justin Timberlake as Robin, it's sad lol

    ReplyDelete